POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thought I'd ask again, Rolling fog? (it's been awhile) : Re: Thought I'd ask again, Rolling fog? (it's been awhile) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought I'd ask again, Rolling fog? (it's been awhile)
From: Lance Birch
Date: 2 May 1999 03:05:08
Message: <372beb14.0@news.povray.org>
Well, as I stated earlier it's done with MAX but I'll give you a run down of
how it was achieved...

First I made a simple particle emitter and made the particle size 0 (so it
wouldn't show up) and set the spray speeds pretty low and variance (the
degree of randomness in the spray direction) to about 10%.  The emitter was
quite thin and very wide.

Next I placed an deflection plate under the emitter and set the bounciness
pretty low so when they hit it they wouldn't go all over the place :)

I then added a gravity spacewarp in the scene and set it's gravity to half
that of normal so that the mist would drift rather than fall.  Then I bound
the gravity and deflector to the emitter so that they would affect it.

Next I attached the main part of it, the thing that makes it actually look
like mist!  There is a very cool plugin for MAX that is totally free.  It's
called FreePyro, named after it's bigger brother PyroCluster.  Basically
what it does is get all the information from the particle system that it
can... what it does is builds "media" spheres around each particle and bases
the properties of the cloud on a whole number of difference parameters and
also the particles information such as rotation, age etc.

I simply added the system to the particle system, and then altered a few of
the settings to make it appear a little softer.  Then I just let it render.

:)

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind